Chelsea can finally start looking to the future as Todd Boehly’s takeover takeover at Stamford Bridge was agreed.
The Roman Abramovich era will soon officially be over with the American’s consortium set to replace Roman Abramovich, following an announced from the club.
Oligarch Abramovich put the club up for sale on March 2, amid Russia’s continued invasion of Ukraine.
The 55-year-old was then sanctioned by the UK Government on March 10, with Downing Street claiming to have proven his links to Vladimir Putin.
Chelsea were granted a special Government licence to continue operating, although under strict terms.
Abramovich will not profit from Chelsea’s sale, but had already vowed to write off the club’s £1.5billion debt.
With Boehly, Clearlake Capital, Mark Walter and Hansjoerg Wyss announced as the new ownership group, it means that any restrictions put on the club will soon end.
This means fans will be looking at transfers as under the restrictions, the Blues could not even offer new deals to players.
It does mean Chelsea have lost ground on their rivals in terms of summer acquisitions.
Talisman defender Antonio Rudiger will leave for Real Madrid on a free transfer this summer, with fellow centre-back Andreas Christensen also bound for Barcelona.
Romelu Lukaku was signed for an eye-watering £97.5million last summer, and the Blues are reportedly considering cutting their losses already after one disappointing season.
Manchester United interim boss Ralf Rangnick recently said the Red Devils need ‘open heart surgery’, but Blues boss Thomas Tuchel said the summer overhaul will not need to be as dramatic in west London.
Tuchel said: “Cosmetic surgery. I would be less concerned if we had still the same ownership, if we could rely on our structure.
“As this is also in question we are, not concerned, but aware of the danger that the situation is maybe a bit more complex.
“And it can be complex enough if you lose a player like Toni, and maybe lose another player like Andreas with the kind of quality, and both of them free.
“It is demanding enough nowadays in football to lose these kinds of quality, in a back three lose two key players for free.
“It can be demanding enough even if everything else stays in place. So with this in question it can be a very, very demanding summer.
“I don’t know if surgery is the right term for it but I just want to be positive about it and stick to the things we can influence.”
Defensive reinforcements are a must and one name consistently linked is Sevilla star Jules Kounde.
The France defender saw a long-mooted transfer to Chelsea fall apart last summer, after Sevilla refused to let the highly-rated centre-back leave for less than his €80million release clause.
Chelsea thought they had a deal wrapped up, only for Spanish side to dig in at the last with the switch falling through just before the summer’s transfer window closed.
The 23-year-old has reportedly told Sevilla that he wants to move in the summer and the Blues may finally land their man.
Another player Chelsea have had long held interest in is Monaco midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni.
The 22-year-old plays as a defensive midfielder and is wanted by some of the biggest clubs around Europe.
Last month, it was reported that the Blues were leading the race but Real Madrid are also showing plenty of interest.
Another name that could make a surprise move to Stamford Bridge is Man City winger Riyad Mahrez.
The Algerian international will have one year left on his contract in the summer and City may be forced to cash in.
With Erling Haaland likely to sign from Borussia Dortmund, the club will also need to make space on their wage bill and selling Mahrez could be the ideal solution.